Wednesday, October 30, 2013

(Oct 30,2013 ) Spiritual (An Illuminating Story) Message for the Day – Let go!

Let go!
Divine Life Society Publication: Satsanga and Svadhyaya by Swami Sivananda
 

On the next day he said to the man, the Kathavachak, “I want knowledge. Give me the secret of getting out of this Samsaric bondage.” The Kathavachak trembled in fear. He was in a dilemma. He did not know what to do. The king said, “If you do not free me from Samsara, your job will go and your head also along with it.”

The Kathavachak went to his house, dejected. He had a wise daughter, who was perhaps a Yogabhrashta. She asked him, “Why are you so gloomy?” He replied, “My child, my last days have come. The king is asking me to do the impossible. The king asks me to give him that knowledge which will free him from Samsara. What do I know? I do not have that knowledge myself. I am doing Katha only, and that too to run this household. The king will take my head if I do not give him the knowledge tomorrow.” The girl said, “Do not worry. You go and tell the king that the answer will be given.” He said, “All right”, for a dying man catches any straw in order to save his life. The girl aged eight or ten years said, “Take me to the palace tomorrow, when you go.”

The father went to the palace with the girl the next day. She asked him to start the Katha as usual. But hardly had he proceeded with his Katha for fifteen minutes, when the silence of the Durbar was broken by a loud wailing noise. All people were wondering who was crying. The girl was crying at the top of her voice, “Please release me, please release me.” She was fastening herself tightly to a pillar. All people tried to disentangle her from the pillar, but could not; she was holding the pillar tightly and crying, “Release me, release me.”

The king got angry and he asked, “What a silly girl you are! What do you mean? You are yourself catching hold of the pillar and you are asking us to remove you.” Immediately the girl burst into laughter.

The king asked, “Why are you laughing?” The girl replied, “I am laughing, because that is exactly what you are asking my father to do. You are catching hold of the palace, you are attached to the palace, to your property, your status, and you want him to release you from something which you yourself are clinging to.”

The king was satisfied with the answer of the girl. He learned a lesson. A man does not get released by another. He has to release himself.

You have to let go what you are clinging to. So it depends upon the aspirant himself to let go his clinging, which belongs to his lower self, which belongs to the old unregenerate nature. If he lets go that clinging, then immediately Satsanga becomes fruitful, Guru-bhakti springs from that heart.

Excerpts from:
Let Go! - Satsanga and Svadhyaya by Swami Sivananda
Archives - Blog

If you would like to purchase the print edition, visit:
http://www.dlshq.org/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?

If you would like to contribute to the dissemination of spiritual knowledge please contact the General Secretary at:

No comments:

Post a Comment