Sunday, March 24, 2013

(March 24,2013) “Gurudev’s Sadhana”

From Divine Life Society Publication - “Some Reminiscences of Gurudev Swami Sivananda” 
by Sri Swami Devananda

In early 1956-1957 Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj used to go to Satsanga exactly at 7 p.m., and start with chanting of OM and Jaya Ganesha Kirtan. And before leaving for Satsanga from the inner resting room of his Kutir he would go to the Puja room, do Arati of Lord Krishna there personally. Then after smearing Vibhuti and Sindhur on the forehead he would come out and sit on the verandah for a few minutes to meet visitors or devotees, or to talk to his personal attendants or Ashram officials on any matter that needed urgent attention. This was his daily routine before going to Satsanga. Sometimes after returning from Satsanga also he used to sit in the same verandah to give instructions to his attendants or to the secretary.

During the year 1960 Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj started living in Gurudev’s Kutir. Since then whenever Gurudev came to the Verandah he would call Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj to speak to him on any important matter. Sometimes Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj would come and prostrate before Swamiji and tell him about Ashram affairs. This was almost everyday routine upto 1963. In 1963, exactly one month before Gurudev attaining Mahasamadhi, Gurudev one day came out to the verandah as usual and sat in the chair. At this time Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj, Dr. Hridayananda Mataji, Sri Swami Santanandaji Maharaj and myself were present there. Gurudev then casually called Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj and said to him, “Krishnanandaji, I do my Sadhana daily in the morning.” Of course Guru Maharaj used to get up early in the morning between 3-30 and 4-00. After morning wash he would go to his inner room and until he called, no one could enter his room. So we did not know what Gurudev’s Sadhana was. Now Gurudev himself told us about his daily Sadhana. It was indeed a revelation to us. 

Gurudev said, “I get up daily between 3-30 and 4-00. a.m. As soon as I get up I offer prayers to the Lord. Then I press the calling bell and two of my attendants come to my room to help me to go to the bathroom. When I see them I think they are two parts of Virat Purusha who has come to help me. First I mentally prostrate before them and then with their help go to the bathroom. After the bath I come back and sit in my room. Then I start my Sadhana like this. First I think of the omnipotent, omniscient Paramatman and meditate on Him for some time. Thereafter I pray mentally to the Trimurtis and all gods in all their names and forms. Then I mentally visit all Holy pilgrim centres and bathe in all the Holy Rivers and Seas, in each and every place. I prostrate before the presiding Deity and worship mentally all the Devatas. Afterwards I do Japa of all Deities, one Maala each. Then I recite four Mahavakyas and some Vedic Hymns from the Vedas. Also I recite selected Mantras from the 10 Upanishads. I got by heart some slokas from the Epics of Mahabharata, Ramayana and Srimad Bhagavatam and I repeat them. I remember the saints and sages and mentally prostrate to them. Then I mentally think of the Acharyas—Sankaracharya, Ramanujacharya, Madhvacharya and all other great Acharyas. I prostrate to them mentally. Then I recite some of the Hymns and Stotras taught by them. After this I do Pranava Japa and meditate. After meditation I do a few exercises on the bed itself, followed by Pranayama. 

The entire routine of my Sadhana takes about 2-2 1/2 hours. After this I ring the bell for my attendants to bring my breakfast. Breakfast over, I go to office work. For the convenience of some devotees who wish to have a private Darshan to talk about their personal matters. I sit on the Verandah. Before they enter the main door I repeat Mahamrityunjaya Mantra three times and pray for their happiness and health, these devotees usually come to me to speak about their problems, spiritual or otherwise. I listen to them patiently and I pray to God mentally to give them courage and strength to overcome their problems and difficulties. Afterwards the visitors sit with me in silence. Then repeating Tryambaka Mantra I distribute the Holy Prasad to them. This has been my Sadhana over the Years.” All four of us were thrilled to hear from Gurudev’s own words about his Sadhana and all of us felt elevated and prostrated to him in deep devotion. Some times Gurudev would say to the devotees at the end of their meeting. “Sab accha ho Jayaga. Bhagavan ko yad rakho.” This is like reminding us not to forget our Sadhana and God is always with us.

May we follow in his footprints of Sadhana and reach the Divine. May Sadgurudev bless us all to progress in our daily spiritual Sadhana. Sadgurubhagavan Ki Jai!

From Divine Life Society Publication - “Some Reminiscences of Gurudev Swami Sivananda” by Sri Swami Devananda Read in PDF

Visit Divine Life Society Webpage to read more messages from Gurudev Swami Sivananda Maharaj

No comments:

Post a Comment